Skip to main content

My astonishing, rewarding, sunny, tiring Friday!

Because yesterday was pouring rain all day, we were lucky indeed to see the sun back. This event had beginnings barely a week ago when Mountainside teachers, Lenore and Denise took on the monumental task of organizing a 'spin-off' with 65 elementary students. The goal would be to raise awareness of mental health issues, and perhaps even raise some money for my charity I am riding across Canada for.
Denise and my 800 km ride route

Early morning spin bike set up
So we were at school by 7:30, setting up bikes and putting up posters and deciding on prizes and other aganda. Thank you Sofis and Bob and Dave for the loan of your bikes!

Then students arrived in three classes. Most were hyped, some asked lots of questions, some were distracted, eager, fired up, charged. So groups rode 5 minutes (or longer) then recorded their times which were added up. 100 km equated to 5 minutes ride. And YES! By the end of the morning, the students had ridden my route across Canada and into the Atlantic Ocean.

Face painting!
Ride hard - 
By noon we had raised almost $400. Several people passing dropped by with donations. Thank you to Lenore and Denise who instigated the morning. Kudos to the many Mountainside students who were 'hosts', face painters, tattoo artists, bike mechanics, and lifters. And well done to those brave elementary teachers who lent us their students.

By noon I was exhausted. Riding a bike 100 km is definitely LESS tiring.


janesride.defeatdepression.ca
https://mdsc.akaraisin.com/Common/Event/Home.aspx?seid=13665&mid=8

Smile often!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weeks to Go!

I am so very busy at school writing reports, marking, seeing parents and assuaging fears of grade 12 students who hope to graduate. Friday I'm organizing a fundraising/mental health awareness morning with Denise and Lenore. Both Denise and Lenore have jumped on the idea and have motivated students to create fabulous posters, invited elementary kids and generally have been great support and organizers.  The bike is almost ready with tri-bars, new fast tires, and two brand new rear panniers. Orange. What a super color! I'm compiling a list yet I do NOT want to go like the poor dude we saw today: overloaded with four panniers and gear piled high. Go light and hopefully fast.  MiI'm feeling pretty fit with the month of racing in New Zealand, the indoor interval training (thanks, TAG!) and the Steed club rides. I LOVE riding my bike so it never takes much to get one out if that's one's passion.   I have so much support from friends. Alejandro has supplied me with two go

Rest day #1

Calgary. 1,3335 I'm staying with Jerry, Delia's dad. Jerry is the sweetest, most generous, affable person I've ever met. Not to mention he's the absolute roll model as to how to defy age. Jerry back country skis, runs flooded rivers, and races 130 km in a cycling fondo, amazing the work with he's age: 83.  I'm being spoilt. Really spoilt. But it's so nice to be able to wash gear, read and be normal for a day. I've now ridden 1,335 km. Nine days. The body is feeling surprisingly good. No flats tires. One (and half) days of rain.  Whimpered about the endless hills. I've met some amazing Canadians who inspire me to ride on. I've seen the bluest sky imaginable on the Rockies. Raced from the craziest lightening storm in Canmore. Struggled with the distance some days, when out of food, and ate gluttonously where possible. I've slept hard and long in my tent by the side of the road and here at Jerry's house has a deeper sleep than I ever ima

Training - and why there's always a reason for a new bike.

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." (Mark Twain)